Put a ring on it!
Happy Monday, everyone! I hope you all had a fantastic weekend!
Today marks Day 5 of my alcohol detox, and I was really put to the test at a birthday/Super Bowl party yesterday! Passing up wine at a celebration is very out of character for me! But, I started this cleanse for a reason: to improve my physical and mental health, which lead to healthier skin.
I’ve completed 2 rounds of the Regul8 Digestive Tune-up supplement program, which I’ll talk more about at another time, and my skin is brighter and pores are clear (even before my DMK RP Peel), I’m not nauseous after every meal, I’ve had a boost in energy level, and I’m no longer waking up with anxiety attacks. However, my wedding ring still isn’t going over my knuckle. (You can see, in the picture, that my ring is on my pinky.) This is a clear sign of inflammation lingering in my system.
I’ve had issues with inflammation in all my joints for years. Blood tests and x-rays show no significant amount of inflammation—at least nothing that my doctor is concerned about. She suggested that I take Advil or Aleve for the joint pain. But, just like my approach with skin concerns, I want to get to the core of my pain. I want to treat it at the source, not just put a bandaid on the symptoms.
I want to be able to wear my wedding ring again.
Recently, I read an article by Gina M. Florio at Bustle.com, “8 Ways Your Body Changes During an Alcohol Cleanse.”
“If you’re a one-glass-of-wine-a-week kind of gal, you won’t see very dramatic physical changes if you remove such a tiny habit; the well-known negative effects of alcohol don’t hit you when you consume the minimal amount.”
I am the drink-a-glass-or-2-with-each-dinner-every-day-of-the-week kind of gal. Meet up for happy hour or lunch with colleagues or girlfriends once or twice a week? That’s another 2-4 glasses of wine for the week. Now it’s the weekend, and there’s also a celebration of some sort… that’s easily a whole bottle of wine plus, at least, 2-4 cocktails. That adds up to 15-28 servings of alcohol in 1 week. WOW. Yup—I think my body totally NEEDS this alcohol detox!
Back to the article, It’s keeping me focused on my goal. I hope these listed benefits from the article encourage you to do a libation detox every now and then:
1) YOU FEEL BETTER-RESTED. Alcohol may assist you in falling asleep pretty quickly, but it totally wrecks the rest of the night, disrupting your REM cycle.
2) YOUR GLUCOSE LEVELS DROP. When glucose levels are all out of whack, insulin isn’t regulated properly, and you’re at a higher risk for type 2 diabetes.
3) YOUR RISK FOR CANCER, CARDIOVASCULAR DISEASES & STROKE DECREASES.
4) SOME OF THE FAT ON YOUR LIVER FALLS OFF. By getting your liver to trim the extra fat, you’re reducing your risk of fibrosis, scarring of the liver, and cirrhosis, a chronic disease of the liver.
5) YOUR CHANCE OF GETTING PREGNANT INCREASES. (Not something I want, as I turn 48 this year, but maybe a positive for some of you!) Your fertility rises after you kiss all those nightly cocktails goodbye.
6) YOU MIGHT LOSE WEIGHT. Most tasty beverages are packed with carby sugars!
7) YOUR SKIN WILL PROBABLY CLEAR UP. Without all the alcohol, the production of an antidiuretic hormone spikes and the body absorbs water much faster. Your skin is hydrated and well-equipped to keep the canvas of your face looking smooth and pretty.
8) YOUR EMOTIONS MIGHT EVEN OUT. (Yessss!!!) When you’re drinking a lot you’re more prone to depressive symptoms and mood swings, even if you don’t realize it.
The main reason I started this cleanse isn’t mentioned in the article, but “heavy alcohol consumption may increase inflammation and lead to a ‘leaky gut’ that drives inflammation throughout your body.”
My quality of life has improved in the short amount of time that I’ve been on my cleanse. I look forward to sharing more healthy changes as I continue to detox! I look forward to “putting a ring on it!” For now, I continue my skin journey through self-love and self-care. It’s time for my DMK Home Enzyme Therapy Treatment!